Homosexuality is the most common type of sexuality, other than heterosexuality, in the world. Homosexuality shouldn't be a taboo, weird, or looked down upon because there are about 1,500 species of animals that practice homosexuality. Homosexuality is divided into two parts, which are known as lesbian and gay. Lesbian means a girl liking another girl, in every way including "emotional, romantic, sexual, and affectional attraction to another women." G comes next which stands for gay. Being gay is when a man likes another man in every way, just like a lesbian.
![]() |
| http://www.aidspreventionlausd.net/lgbtq.html |
Finally, the T in LGBTQ is the most complex. Transgender is the most common type of trans. The T is also used to represent transsexual and transvestite. Transgender, transsexual, and transvestite are the 3 main types of trans. Transgender is when a man feels like a woman and a woman feels like a man. The feeling could be emotionally, mentally, or physically, meaning they want change to the opposite sex. A transsexual is when a person actually changes their sexuality in a physical way to be that of the opposite sex of which they were born. A transvestite is also commonly known as a cross-dresser. A cross-dresser is a man or woman dressing as the opposite sex and acting like them, too. Cross-dressers could do this for a short time or do this on a daily bases. Another commonly known way to refer to a man dressing as a woman is a drag queen. A guy is a drag queen only when he over does the woman clothing, like huge hair, big butt, and bright colors in his make-up.
In conclusion, LGBTQ is the most common way to name the "gay" community. Some of you might have thought I missed a letter, and I did. The Q at the end of LGBTQ is often left out because it wasn't originally there. The Q referees to either questioning or queer. If you are questioning, that means that you are not sure what you are, which is normal for most people. You could also fit into more than just one category. Queer, in my book is like saying humans. Queer is uniting the divided community of LGBTQ. I know queer is also used as an insult, but gay has another meaning to it, too.
Where I got my idea about this blog post:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl1ORdfACuw&feature=plcp

When someone is gay do they not feel like they are supposed to be the opposite sex...because in all homosexuality or any type of relationship there is always a dominant role to be played. For example, a dike dresses like a dude, acts like a dude, talks like a dude, their entire persona is like a male. Another example, is two males. They both dress like males, but one is more feminine than the other?
ReplyDeleteWhat I'm getting at is that it appears that people who are homosexual tend to play a certain role in the relationship. Males or females with male like qualities are usually the dominant ones and females or males with female like qualities are usually the recessive/submissive people. My question is does being gay mean you want to be the opposite sex whether physically or emotionally?
This a very misunderstood stereotype. It is true for a majority of relationships but not all of them apply. A dike, is a type of trans, so it is like a boy and girl. Being for "feminine" is just how you act and not how you want to be viewed by the world as.
DeleteIf you believe this to be true then what about the women that work and maintain the household while her husband cleans and watches over their kids?
How does this scenario relate to my previous comment?
Delete...."a woman who maintains the household while her husband cleans and watches over their children."
Most people would look at this as sharing the responsibilities of the home? How does this relate to anyone's sexual orientation? Household chores doesn't have anything to do with a person's sexual orientation. If I take out the trash, that doesn't change or imply anything about my sexual orientation.
What's your definition of feminine?
If you act a certain way, then you are going to get a certain response.
I think that it is wrong to bully people over their opionions and beliefs, but I am a firm beleiever that God created ALL people to be in the image of Him, and He gave them the drive to only love the opposite sex. This is why in the Garden of Eden, when Adam was lonely, God did not create another man for Adam to be with, but instead created Eve. What makes people feel like they are attracted to the same sex is Satan trying to tempt you. God did not design human beings, beings after His own image, to have these unnatural desires. That's why I beleive that it is going against God's Word and how He created us to support or be gay. I'm not trying to be harsh, but when you feel strongly about a subject, especially when the Bible backs you up, it is hard not to state your opinions.I treat and respect gay people just the same as I treat other people, and don't discriminate at all, in fact I think that a lot of gay people are super nice, but I think it's really sad that they believe what they do, because I know how apparent it is that they are wrong. Many people believe that that is the way they were made and they can't do anything about it, but the truth is, that is sin controlling your heart. God loves you they way you are, and will always love you, but He did design you to be attracted to the same sex.
ReplyDeleteI have to be honest here: I have several gay friends and they are some of the nicest people in the world. I support your fight for equality, but I; however, cannot fight it. I treat everybody the same - no matter what. I can't say I believe in gay marriage, because I don't. I can't say I support gay marriage, because I don't. But I can say; however, that I treat everybody the same - because God created everybody in his likeness and image. I'm conflicted because I do love my gay friends and I want to see them happy with someone who makes them happy all the while, living and supporting my faith.
ReplyDeleteI still think it should be QLGBT instead of LGBTQ, just because it rolls off the tongue better. This was a very informative post and I learned a lot about the LGBTQ community. Thank you for explaining the whole trans thing because it is kind of confusing with so many different types and stuff.
ReplyDeleteA few things. The first thing you should know about me is that I'm totally pro-gay and completely biased, but I did a lot of research before posting this comment.. Now you shall hear me speak.
ReplyDelete1. Cassidy Shmuaker and Barney Wiggles (wtf, seriously?)-- okay, Adam and Eve is a creation story, not a marriage story. Never did they exchange rings or vows. And if you want to be technical about it (because technicalities are fun), Eve got pregnant while she was unwed. And what's supposed to happen when you get pregnant unwed? STONED TO DEATH. That is all on point one.
2. I understand your concern with the Bible, but you're using the Old Testament. In the Old Testament, if you stole your arm got cut off. If you got pregnant out of wedlock (even if it was rape) you got stoned to death. (For other strange things that the Bible says, click here http://www.gci.org/law/sct01) Christian beliefs are based off of the teachings of Jesus, and Jesus said absolutely nothing about homosexuality. One of the few stories about Jesus that mentions at all any type of sexual sin is found in the Gospel of John (Chapter 8). And it's with a woman who has committed adultery. Even so, his focus was not on her sin, it was on the fact that the townspeople were about to stone her to death.
3. Number three also deals with number two. Just consider it a subtext of number two because two was getting too long. The Bible rarely ever deals with same-sex intercourse, and even the ones that do deal with it in a bigger, more general sense (ex.- rape, ritual purity, pedophilia, and prostitution) and are always presented in the case of someone being exploited or abused. Never does it mention homosexuality in the case of two, mutually-consenting adults.
4. Also a subtext of number two. If you look at the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, it's not about homosexuality. It's about rape. Here's how:
So, God hears that there's stuff going on in Sodom, so he sends angels down to see what's going on. Lot meets them and invites them to stay in his home and have dinner.
A few hours later, some men come and knock on his door. They say, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out so that we may know them." Now, Hebrew is a weird language, and the word for "know" (yada) can also mean "to have sex with." At best, these men are saying that they want to literally get to know his guests, and at worst they want to have sex with them. Now, just assuming that the ANGELS aren't interested in casual hook-up, the Sodomites intend to rape them.
Lot says to them, "I beg you, my brothers, do not act so wickedly." Now, the wicked act isn't homosexuality. It's rape.
5. Leviticus 20.13 says, "If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination."
Now, the word "abomination" is not a very good translation. The word in Hebrew, being toevah, also means unclean. And it means pork.
Also, Leviticus forbids a lot of things that we don't really abide by. Leviticus 9.27 says, "You shall not round off the hair on your temples or mar the edges of your beard." According to this, a shave and a haircut are an abomination as well.
I have to split this up because it's too long...
So those are the only old testament scriptures containing anything close to homosexuality. Now let's take a brief look at the New Testament.
ReplyDeleteAll of this crap people give gays is largely attributed to the apostle Paul.
1. In his first letter to the Corinthians, he writes,“Do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! Fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, sodomites, thieves, the greedy, drunkards, revilers, robbers—none of these will inherit the kingdom of God.” (1 Corinthians 6.9, NRSV)
And in his first letter to Timothy, Paul writes, “Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it legitimately. This means understanding that the law is laid down, not for the innocent but for the lawless and disobedient, for the godless and sinful, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their father or mother, for murderers, fornicators, sodomites, slave traders, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to the sound teaching that conforms to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.” (1 Timothy 1.10, NRSV)
Okay, so the word "sodomite" (in Greek it is arsenokoitais) is tricky. Why, you ask? Because Paul is the only person to EVER have used it. There is literally no other writing in ancient Greek scripture where that word is used. If you really translate it, it is "a man with many beds" (or a more vulgar version, "a man that likes to fuck"). Okay, it is not at all related to gay people. It is related to promiscuous people.
The closest English translation that they could come up with was sodomite, but even sodomy is losing its meaning. A better word would be "slut," but Paul's passage solely refers to men, and there is no word for a male slut. LEXICAL GAP.
One more thing about Paul, then I'm done.
2. The ONLY other passage in the New Testament that somewhat relates to homosexuality is in Paul's letter to Romans. He writes, “For this reason God gave them up to degrading passions. Their women exchanged natural intercourse for unnatural, and in the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with passion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error. (Romans 1. 26-17, NRSV)"
If we read this really carefully, passion isn't the bad thing. But degrading passion is. So basically, if you have sex and it feels uncomfortable, you should stop. If a heterosexual man has sex with a man, it would feel uncomfortable. But for a homosexual man, the opposite is true. The natural thing is same-sex intercourse.
---
"Sin is not harmful because it is forbidden, but is forbidden because it is harmful." -Benjamin Franklin.
Just take a step back from your Bible and ask yourself, "is the issue really here?"
(I really hope this didn't offend anyone. I'm just really passionate about this issue. I hope I changed your mind, but I can understand if I didn't because I'm not that convincing. I'm totally not trying to be mean, I just really believe in this.)
I completely agree with you. Any mindless idiot can recite text from the bible, but it takes a wise and committed person to interpret it properly.
DeleteIf any of you need other opinions, I suggest you go on youtube and watch the three videos by the vlogbrothers. They bring up a lot of good points
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsVgk9oMyx8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQw0eLzfGNI&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD-INsIbVcw&feature=plcp
I agree any idiot can recite text from the bible and take it out of context. You should double check your bible. I'm not sure what bible you are reading, but if you go to Genesis chapter 2 it will explain how Adam and Eve became one and the entire marriage thing. Of course they didn't have a certificate because they didn't have paper, and they didn't have gold or silver rings on their fingers, but it talks about the two becoming unified, which is what happens when one gets married. I'm not going to sit here and debate with you because obviously you already "know" the facts. For me to talk to someone who already has their mind made up and doesn't want to here the truth, it is just me wasting my time. I hope that you will be able to read the bible and gain understanding for yourself. We as Christians often have to ask God to help us understand things when we don't understand. If you don't even believe in the bible at all....well then I will keep you in my prayers.
DeleteOkay, so first of all, I did a lot of research for that one comment. I did not take the letters from Paul out of context. All of it was there, I was merely stating an error in translation. I did not take the story of Sodom and Gomorrah out of context, once again, I was merely stating an error in translation. And in Leviticus, I was solely informing everyone of one of the other things in that book that we do not abide by. I am sorry if I offended you; it was not my intention.
DeleteSecond, I'm not stupid enough or single-minded enough to completely block out what others have to say. If you have something relevant and important to say, please say it. I am happy to hear your opinion. What I "know" is that I did a lot of research and I also "know" that I do not know everything. In the words of William Shakespeare, "The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." I would very much like to hear what you would like to say, for I am not a fool.
Third, okay, I did just look at my bible (which I do believe in, just so you know) and you are correct, but that does not change the meaning of the statement. Adam and Eve is a creation story. It does not say (that I have read) that all marriages should be like that.
Fourth, I do not mean to be rude in any of this. This is my interpretation with the research that I did. If I offended anyone, I give my apologies. I did not mean for it to be so.
After a recent debate with my friends, my views have...changed. I still believe relitivly the same things, but there are some things that are still a little foggy for me. These are things I will figure out with time. But right now, I'm finding no words to explain it. However, the bottom line is we all have our beliefs and it is not our job as Christian's or even non-Christitans to judge.
ReplyDelete